All data logged and used within the VisualSoft Suite has a timestamp. This is used to link different types of data, such as linking Cross-Profiles or Events to Position data.
The system is designed to store data with a UTC timestamp, but it allows you to display the data using Local Time.
Time is taken from a "Time Sync Source", which is outside the VisualSoft software.
The time source may be one of the following:
- A network time-server application, maintaining a standard time across the network, and setting all PC clocks to be identical.
- A time signal via the network from an online navigation system (to VisualDVR).
- A time within a survey data string via serial input or network port (to VisualDVR or VisualData).
- A single PC clock (configured in the VisualSoft Network Options).
- It is important that the user correctly specifies whether the received time signal is in UTC or in local time.
- It is essential that the Windows clock is configured for the correct local time zone, and that daylight saving settings are correctly configured.
- It is very important that every PC is configured with the same settings.
ONLY ONE TIME SYNC SOURCE SHOULD BE ENABLED AT ANY GIVEN TIME ACROSS THE WHOLE VISUALSOFT NETWORK.